11.11.2015

Last Night's Gluten-Free Vegan Dinner

This is sort of a housekeeping post, for my own interest. I'm keeping track of how I'm starting to put meals together, in a visual way that I can start to see patterns and opportunities for improvement in taste, variety, efficiency, nutrition, ease (not necessarily in that order). I'm posting it on the off-chance that there's someone else out there in the same boat I'm in.

Last night's dinner was highly economical, easy, tasty, and nutritious. It might have been a bit boring for the kids, but they seemed happy enough with it.

The most expensive part was the "meatballs", which I bought frozen at Whole Foods. They were from a new company, they had a distinctive mushroom-y flavor that was appealing to the kids, and they were non-gmo, soy-free, and gluten-free. These browned in the skillet in some olive oil. Along with this, I had some leftover wild rice and some leftover black beans and some leftover black bean cooking liquid that I had intended to use as a soup base, but instead all three went together into small casserole dish. I added raw chopped kale from the garden for a little color and interest, put a foil lid on it and put it in the oven at 375 until it was all steamy hot and good. Served it all with a side of sliced carrots and avocados and pepitas and hot sauce on the side. I should have taken a picture, but I wasn't thinking at the time that the dinner was enough of an "accomplishment" to warrant  a photo. But it was everything a gluten-free vegan dinner should be, so--success.

No comments: