3.24.2009

Ada Lovelace Day

I just signed a pledge to publish a post about a woman in technology whom I admire. Considering Ada Lovelace is one of the origins of my daughter's name, I'm sort of obligated. And since I've been reading about the dearth of women in gaming development and history, here's one for you:

Roberta Williams (1953 - ) of Oakhurst, CA invented the first home-computer adventure game to use graphics, "Mystery House." She had been working as a computer operator and programmer, and when she had the idea, she and her husband brought the game to life, he doing the programming and she doing the design and gameplay. Together they formed a company, Sierra On-Line, in 1979, which continues today as Sierra Entertainment, owned by ... Activision? some Activision division? Not sure.

Good for you Roberta and Ken!

No comments: