2.01.2009

Adenoidectomy

Having nursed the boy cub through his recovery from his adenotonsillectomy last May (it was a doozy - that post still drives more traffic to this blog than any other), now the girl child goes in for adenoids and tubes tomorrow morning.

I'm a little sick with worry. I hate to be going through this again. The surgery itself is still relatively minor. It's the risk of general anesthesia that gets me. She's 16.5 months old, about 25 lbs. This is her second time under anesthesia, since she got her first set of tubes last May, and that time went fine - she threw up in the car on the way home, took a nap, and was right as rain after she got up.

Conventional wisdom and counsel is that recovery from an adenoidectomy is much less troublesome than for a tonsillectomy. From your lips to God's ears, Dr. Ent. I'm not having a whole lot of luck researching for information on the recovery for someone this young, although I did find one reassuring account from the parents of a boy child about the same age as Ada who did very well. We're doing this for recurring ear infections. She has no sleep problems, but she seems to be constantly congested, and her ears won't drain, even with the tubes. She's on Zyrtec now, which seems to be helping with the continuous congestion quite a bit (Austin is awash in cedar allergens right now), but I still can't see filling her up with antibiotics every time she gets a cold because the fluid just won't leave her ears.

Ugh. I hate this. One of my friends posted on her "25 Random Things About Me" list on FB that being a parent feels like having your heart outside your body.

So true.

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

Found you through a link from Scary Mommy's blog.
Hope all goes well with your little one's surgery! I read about the tonsillectomy for your son and was shocked! I had no idea it was such major surgery!
Good luck, we'll be thinking of you!