7.21.2006

Boulder Sounds Nice

I hate the summer in Texas. I'm a native, so I should be used to this, but this SUCKS. I don't want to write (obviously - been almost two weeks since the last post), work, exercise, cook, eat, have sex, or really do anything that requires movement or effort. I just want to float in my pool with a cool beverage or sit in the over-airconditioned glory of our tv room (thanks to the mini wall unit) and watch BTVS reruns off the DVR while the cub happily plays independently with his blocks and toys. Every summer I dream of moving north, and this summer is no exception, although usually I don't start talking seriously about it until August.

The cub is braving the heat fabulously. If I would let him, he would spend every waking moment outside. In spite of slathering SPF 50 sunblock on him every day, he has acquired a slight browning to his arms and face. We have decided to try full-time daycare with him again. Now that he's fully mobile, he's getting bored at home. We take him to the park in the morning after breakfast, usually around 8:00, then on an errand after his morning nap before lunch to somewhere where we can let him run around a bit, and then I take him on another outing or DH takes him to Radijazz before dinner, and still he is bored and wanting some kind of excursion in the moments in-between. If DH or I go out the door during the day and don't take him with us, he has a full-on meltdown. So, we are registered at the Children's Courtyard at the Spicewood Springs location, because they have kick-ass play areas, and we'll see how it goes. I'm worried about him getting sick because we are currently on catastrophic coverage-type insurance (DH is currently job-hunting, but that's another story ...). But, I think the expanded play opportunities (and my expanded work opportunities) will be worth it.

We have friends in town from Dallas, which I love because then I get lots of girl-chat time without even having to leave the house. Tomorrow DH is leading a naming ceremony for their 6-month-old son. This will be DH's first naming ceremony, and he's considering it even more important than a wedding. He explained why to me, and it involved references to Wittgenstein and Derrida, so I won't try to elaborate. It should be lovely. And there will be sangria. Mmmmmm, sangria.

No comments: