5.30.2006

Cesarean-Born Self-Therapy?

I've noticed a certain thing that the cub likes to do lately: he likes to crawl to where I'm standing (sometimes he does this with DH, too) and then butt his head against my legs to push and squeeze through between them. As soon as he's pulled himself through, he turns right around and does it again from the other side. He doesn't want me to do anything but stand there and let him push and squeeze himself through, again and again.

Our doula has a boy who was also born by Cesarean. She told me that her son (4 years old at the time) would do something similar when they were playing in the pool together. He would push up between her arm and her side and say, "Look at me, mama! I'm coming through the birth canal!" (Being the son of a doula comes with a full understanding of the process of birth.) She told me to watch for the cub doing things to mimic the experience of "pushing through" that he missed out on by being delivered by Cesarean.

If there's some connection between his new game and his Cesarean delivery, then that's just the coolest thing ever. I'm very amused and may try to devise play "tunnels" that he can crawl through and other birth-mimicking games we can play to help him integrate whatever he's working on. If anyone reads this who has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

No comments: