5.12.2006

Acid Reflux After One Year

Back in the sweet early days of the cub, I would, on occasion, refer to him endearingly as the "devil spawn". It wasn't his fault, of course, that his sleeping was all messed up from being very young and, poor guy, having to deal with acid reflux's constant spitting up and irritation. So much for such a little guy.

He has been on Zantac, 3 X day, since he was 5 weeks old. (Some other time I'll write about the crappy, incredibly unhelpful, anti-support I received from some of my naturopathic care providers.) He is now very close to the point that he will be "outgrowing" his current dose, and if he stays asymptomatic we get to stop giving him the Zantac. Without getting his exact weight now, but making an educated guess based on what he weighed at his one-year visit last month, his doctor reckoned we were approaching that weight now, and to take him off the Zantac and see what happens.

A return to devil spawn, that's what.

The little guy is getting his molars in. All four at once. Two have just broken through, one is a giant, swollen bump, and the other is just moving into position. So he's already in a delicate state. Last night he woke up whining a little after midnight, which has been happening sometimes when the molars are giving him a lot of grief. But instead of getting back to sleep after the tylenol, he fussed and fussed and nothing I could do could get him to go back to sleep. At about 1:45 I went ahead and gave him his first dose of Zantac in about 30 hrs. and he went to sleep shortly after that - enough time for it to work. This morning sitting in his high chair at breakfast he gave a solidly wet burp. It's not over yet.

I'm painfully exhausted, and this being a new blog I have no readers yet (if I ever will - there are some truly witty, laugh-out-loud funny mama blogs out there), and I don't want to whine to friends about how exhausted I am right now, but I'm on the verge of tears. It's the accumulated sleep deprivation thing, and it's the beginning of a day needing to be patient, gentle and attentive to my uncomfortable trooper of a cub, which takes some energy, and also being able to multi-task and deal with clients because today's my "off" day, meaning the nanny doesn't come so I'm home with the cub, theoretically not working, but the business world doesn't take Fridays off, so I end up still needing to be available anyway.

I really wanted to be done with the Zantac. I was fantasizing about going to bed every night at 9 again, like way back in the day, instead of having to stay up to give the cub his evening dose.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too have a refluxer. She is just over a year and still coughts, chokes, wet burps, spits up, gags and so on. Nights are always interesting. We have at times attempted to decrease her zantac dose(which she has been on since she was 2 weeks old). This never worked out. She has a related problem of constipation and chronic diaper rashes. Along with trouble sleeping, whiney days(usually all day every day). I have still been unable to go back to work full time. I can't fathom asking someone to patiently care for this one. She tends to take a very long time to eat. I still hope that some magical day will arrive when she won't need her medicine. It seems like that day will never come, though. Keep on keeping on. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Same problem here! My 15 month old still has reflux. I have tried many times to stop his medication only to put him back on it again after a week . He still wakes up 3x per night and also has his fussy clingy days. I doubt myself constantly....am I doing the right thing ? Surely he cant still have reflux ? When will it end? It helps to know that I am not alone and to read that other people also have the same problem. Take care

Anonymous said...

I too have a post-one-year old refluxer. We took her off the prevacid for a week and towards the end of the week the vomiting/refluxing started again. Put her back on the prevacid and things are better. My close friend is a pediatrician and she said that 95% of kids outgrow reflux by one year--good to know we are in the 5% who doesn't! ;-) I am happy that she sleeps through the night--but she is a very picky eater and her reflux causes full out throwing up in her crib. All under control with the prevacid. Was hoping to be done with the meds--but apparently we are not. Good to know my little girl is not the only kiddo still dealing with reflux at 13 months. To add to my drama--I am speech pathologist who works with kids with feeding issues. Sheesh!

Anonymous said...

Please let me know if your children ever got over their reflux. I have a 13 month old who is failure to thrive, on meds but still throwing up. This is the first thing I've ever seen where I can relate to ALL of the comments.

Anonymous said...

My daughter will be 14 months old next week, we have dealt with Acid Reflux since she was about 2 weeks old, she was on/is back on Zantac, she has done ok on it, I have to give her gas drops and Gripe Water also throughout the day, she is up some nights (like last night), almost all night, what time she did sleep was on-top of me, I feel so terrible for her, but I did notice back a few months ago, that her sitting in a warm (almost hot) bath really helps her calm down & it must help the belly pains and esophagus irritation, because I have done this if nothing else seems to work and/or if the meds just are not enough...I know most little ones, if you turn lights on or give them a bath during the night like that, the parents worry about them going back to sleep, I do not have any problems (Thank God) with my daughter going back to sleep...I know I have Acid Reflux (was diagnosed about a year ago), the belly pain and esophagus irritation is so intense sometimes, I've literally been paralyzed and if not, it paralyzed, I can barely move...I've had to get in hot baths during the day and night, and it does help A LOT!!! As parents, we would do anything for our children, and I STRONGLY RECOMMEND IF YOU CANNOT SOOTHE YOUR CHILD, DAY OR NIGHT, TRY ATLEAST 3 DIFFERENT TIMES TO PUT THEM IN A WARM (almost hot) BATH...ALSO, I have a friend who's son has it and he is almost 3, he has been in such pain with his throughout his life, that his parents have had to take him to the doctor and/or ER for pain meds...One more thing I have figured out also with myself, my daughter and our friend's son, is that sleeping on our backs makes everything worse, it eases our pain to sleep on our bellies...I hope you at least try these things 3 times, before you decide they do or do not help/relieve your children's discomfort...

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this blog. My son just turned 1 and his reflux seems to have gotten worse. We switched from formula to whole milk which I think is the cause. We have not tried medications yet; things seemed to improve from 4 months until now. I thought he developed a lactose intolerance, but he gets SO constipated. If he were lactose intolerant he would have diarrhea. Constipation is our main issue with fussiness, refuses to eat and spits up once (at least) per bottle. His muscle tone seems low, he just started to crawl. Thanks for all the advice above.

Kristen Stewart said...

My baby was diagnosed with silent reflux and has been taking Prevacid since around 5 months. She never cried though unless we tried to feed her and she hardly ever spit up either(or spit up and swallow down) but it caused a pain in her throat and she didn't want to eat. She would resist drinking her bottle after only 1-2 ounces if we were lucky. I was scared she would be "failure to thrive" so we pushed her to eat more which is apparently the worst thing you can do. She passed her swallow study test and we quit trying to get her to eat more. She has gained weight just very slowly. The Prevacid helped tremendously but she still refused to drink any bottle after 10 months. (Pumped breastmilk until 5.5 months and then soy afterwards) I tried at 12 months and 15 months to move her to half a Prevacid a day (7.5 mg/day instead of 15mg) and each time she has pretty much stopped eating solids and will only drink squeezy packs. She is 16 months old and still taking it and I don't plan on trying to reduce her dose until 18 months.

I was talking to another mama whose child had bad reflux to the point they almost had surgery and her doctors told her that most likely at 18 months the reflux would just go away and for her that is exactly what happened. I have my fingers crossed for my little one!

Anonymous said...

My little girl has been sick since her first feed 4 and a half years ago and its still ongoing! Diagnosed with GORD she is on lansoprazole, domoeridone and gaviscon daily. She controls her own sickness now and swallows most of it back but there is no signs of it going! I really wish there was an off button. She has stomach pains around 3 times a week... shes growing well and is otherwise well... shes a great sleeper and had many tests to confirm reflux and monitor. Is there anyone else with an older child that can give me any tips. Thanks